Mediation Matters – Parental Support Group
What is the Parental Support Group?
Coming out from the Mediation and the counselling services offered by the Division it was realised clients needed a more personal interactive intervention even open communication
so the Community Mediation Division embarked on a mission to help equip persons with the skills needed to foster healthy families
And by extension to raising well-groomed, well-adjusted children deal with family issues in a constructive manner
This is how the Parent Support Group was formed to offer support, information and to assist parent in managing difficult situations impacting on the parenting issues faced and contributing to restoring healthy families but not just that also to equip the parents themselves with tool for self-growth and self-empowerment
Explain what a typical meeting is like.
Relax before meeting
Ice breaker / game
Explain what is atmosphere is like while each activity is taking place
(a) What are the topics discussed at the Parental Support Group Meetings?
Different types of Abuse ( child, elderly , intimate partner )
Diet and Nutrition
Violence in the home
Managing economic downturn as parents
Grief and loss
Developing proper relationships
Using social media safely
(b) Which topic stood out the most for you?
What activities do the Parental Support Groups engage in?
- End of year get together
How can I become a member of a Parental Support Group?
These groups meet monthly in the various centres
- North Main 3rd Tuesday Jobco Building Frederick St POS 30pm 225-4267 / 625-6768
- East Main Arima last Tuesday Upstairs pennywise Building 00pm 667- 0266
- Central Main Cunupia 3rd Wednesday southern main road Warrenville located close to scotia bank 30 pm 693-2342
- South west main Point Fortin 3rd Tuesday 00 noon 684-2810
- San juan sub centre last Thursday st John Anglican church Petiti Bourg 00 pm 638-8133
- Toco 2nd Wednesday Balandra Community Centre
- East main Mens Support 3rd Wednesday 30 pm
You just call or visit any of the Community Mediation centre to get the date and time of the next and you just attend no formal registration is required.